Saturday, November 05, 2005

this is why I don't live in the city

You see, we have this very long, steep, dirt?, driveway. Most of the dirt is gone so what is left is ruts and rocks. So I had a huge load of crushed rock brought in to fix the problem. I got up before daylight this morning and trudged up the hill with my shovel to spread some of the rocks in the ruts. That's very satisfying work--for a while--and if you don't have to do it. Before long I had an audience. The cows that roam these grounds came to see what was going on. They stood in half circle around me--and watched--and watched. The big black bull kept inching closer. Now I have a healthy respect for big black bulls, especially ones named Gus. I hardly ever turn my back on them. The curious little ones watched too--and their mothers.

I kept working. They got bored or hungry and moved on.
I quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.